Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2018

Last Days with Dad

Right before Thanksgiving, the doctors discovered a mass in my father's pancreas.  This is never good news, and the next few months were both very difficult and very special.

I got to spend a week in Fayetteville in early December and was also able to extend my Christmas visit.  We knew Dad was feeling bad when he did not get out his annual Christmas letter until after Christmas.  He has been so faithful to correspond with friends every year.  I'm impressed that he perservered and got the letter out before the New Year.  I got to help him stuff envelopes:


He was especially proud to include a photo of him with ALL of his grandchildren and great-grandchildren.



But wait, why aren't the children in the picture?  Especially since we were right there in the room.  We weren't thinking straight, so Rebecca took another picture with my sisters and me and was able to Photoshop us in:


This photo is very special to us as it was the last time we were all together with Dad.  I took quite a few photos during Dad's illness (something I did NOT do with my mom and really regret), but I won't post most on here.  My dad is not vain, but let's just say he looked the way he felt.  Lots of nausea.  Lots of pain.  He took it very well - not complaining, cracking jokes, and being interested in others.  Here are a few of my special memories.  Here is Dad editing his obituary (an editor to the end!):


Dad enjoying Popsicles (he literally lived on Popsicles and Sonic ice for three weeks):


Meanwhile, we were enjoying the "food ministry" everyone was blessing us with so that we could spend more time with Dad.  My sister's friend, Rhonda, made the yummiest food:


Dad enjoyed visits with friends


And we all enjoyed a singing group that from Lighthouse Baptist Church that visited Hospice Hourse every week (that included quite a few members of the Duggar family).  They took requests, and Dad requested his favorite - "Blessed Assurance."



I got some cool video of Dad visiting with friends about running track in college:



And also giving his testimony, which was very sweet:



Early on Dad was even feeling good enough to celebrate Gloria's birthday:


We got to watch the Super Bowl with Dad, the Winter Olympics, and Razorback basketball.  Most days were more low key, though - with lots of sitting, visiting, and knitting


We got to know a lot of the hospice nurses. These two were our favorites:


Dad's mind stayed sharp until the end.  This special photo was taken just before he drifted out of consciousness the morning of his death:


After being with both mom and dad when they passed away, I can say that death is a very holy time for a believer.  It is a special, sweet time.  It is an honor to spend the last days with someone you love. 




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very, very special Susan. Thank you for sharing.

Susan Seaman said...

Thanks for commenting, Tina! Hope things are going well with you guys!