Pages

Sunday, September 1, 2019

I'm Gonna Be a Grandma!



The following poem is one that Rebecca and I memorized when she was in kindergarten.  This was also the year that I found out that Noah was on the way.  It's a sweet little poem and one that I remember my mother quoting when I was a little girl.  

The Secret
by Anonymous

We have a secret, just we three, 

The robin, and I, and the sweet cherry-tree;
The bird told the tree, and the tree told me,
And nobody knows it but just us three

But of course the robin knows it best

Because she built the - I shan't tell the rest;
And laid the four little - something in it --
I'm afraid I'll tell it every minute.

But if the tree and the robin don't peep,

I'll try my best the secret to keep;
Though I know when the little birds fly about
Then the whole secret will be out.

So I thought it was so sweet and creative that Rebecca gave me the knews of her pregnancy by showing me some poems she had re-written in the style of her favorites (including some decoy poems to throw me off), and then including this as her last re-write.


The only problem was that if she was expecting a loud reaction, she didn't get it.  Her poem said it was a secret, so I just kept my excitement to a stage whisper!  I'm glad she told the rest of the family within minutes, because just like the little kid in the poem, I'm not so good at keeping exciting secrets! 


No comments: