Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2018

My Friend, My Friend

We heard the phrase "My friend, my friend" over and over again during our work at Gateways2Life.
Even those that knew no other English seemed to know this phrase.  We found ourselves using it when addressing the children we were caring for as their mothers took showers and did laundry.  It sounds so much friendlier than "Hey, you!"

One of the things I will always remember about this trip is the friends I made, and I wanted to record some of my thoughts about them here.  I already talked in my earlier post about some of our Greek friends in the town of Panagouida.  But we also got to know some of our fellow workers at Gateways2Life.  Vanessa was a favorite of our whole team.



She was from Brasil and had traveled with YWAM in many dangerous parts of the world sharing the gospel.  She was bold in her faith and so good at showing love to the refugees.  We tried to learn as much as we could.

We all had certain women and children that we became attached to during our time there.  My favorites were a little boy named Hamid and his mother and aunt.


Hamid was a handful but also loved to give kisses.  Mary Bond said she thought he would either be the evangelist or terrorist of his generation.  I try to pray for this little boy and his family every day.  I can pray for the refugees in general, but my heart seems to work better in specifics.

I also try to pray for Ikran and her daughter, Sabrina.  She had so much joy for being in a place like Moria.  She hopes to end up in Minnesota.



And I pray for Menach, her daughter Lara (pictured below), and the rest of her family.  Menach would cry when talking of Syria.  I could tell she had so much pain over what had happened to her country.




And I pray for the Greek staff at Gateways2Life.  It is challenging work.

No comments: