Pages

Friday, July 21, 2017

Four Great Gifts

There were four great gifts giving during this holiday season at our house - all given by Rebecca. She is going to have a hard time topping these in years to come, but I hope she accepts the challenge.

When the kids were younger, we had holiday devotions.  It has been just too hard to find a time when we can all be home now.  Our best advent family devotions were spent reading the books Jotham's Journey, Bartholomew's Passage, and Tabitha's Travels.  A few years back, I challenged Rebecca to write her own Christmas story in this same type of advent format.  This year she surprised me with a book of Advent Devotions she had written herself.  She gave it to me for my birthday so that I could enjoy during the upcoming advent season.  What an awesome gift!


If you'd like to, you can even buy your own copy here.

Then for Christmas, Rebecca worked on a very special gift for me.  For years I begged her to learn to play the Sleigh Ride duet with me.  I finally gave up a few years back.  Since there is a piano where Rebecca nannies every day, she worked on this piece unbeknownst to me.  So when I jokingly asked if she would play it with me this year, she was ready to go.  What a fun surprise!  We played it almost every day - sometimes better than others.  We tried to make a good recording on Christmas Day but kept messing up.  I'm including it anyway.  Caleb was our page turner and photo bomber.



Rebecca also gave a special but simple gift to her brothers for an early Christmas - tickets to Rogue One on opening night!


The last special gift was for Terry on Christmas morning.  Rebecca had been working for months on a large painting of Rutledge Falls.  This waterfall belongs to extended family on Terry's mom's side and is where we have an annual family reunion.  Our kids have spent quite a bit of time climbing up the rocks and swimming in the water below.  Rebecca worked hard as an elf on Christmas Eve to finish it up in time for Christmas morning.










No comments: